During the 40's and 50's, caravan sites were generally little more than just a field with a chemical toilet block in the corner, so it's not all surprising that many Local Authorities were strongly anti-caravans. In this climate it was a great achievement that a five year planning permission for 20 acres known as "Pidney's Marsh" was granted for the use of caravans.
Douglas Bunn's father had originally bought this land principally for grazing horses. It was ideally suited for this purpose as it was wetland. Douglas purchased this land from his father and experts were called and the land drained.
Work started in the Autumn of 1958; the shop, office and Club House were built in 1959.
What was Pidney's Marsh had become The White Horse Caravan Park.
At the same time Douglas bought a large area of camping land, then called Mill Farm, with it's mile of foreshore on the Solent. The purchase was completed in mid-May 1959 and Mill Farm was promptly renamed West Sands to create the seaside holiday image.
Additional land was purchased to make way for expansion and Green Lawns, an already established Holiday Park, was purchased in 1968.
Bunn Leisure grew throughout the 70's and was one of the countries foremost Holiday Villages.
The programme to introduce mains drainage and electrical supply to each caravan started in the early seventies, and was completed in 1995.
Bunn Leisure is the largest independent holiday village in europe and on a busy peak season weekend we can accommodate in excess of 12,500 people.
Bunn leisure employs over 300 full time staff and up to 300 additional staff in the season. The whole operation generates over £54m for the local economy.
Over the years we have spared no expense in building and improving the Villages and their amenities. Both the Waterfront Complex, built for the Millennium, and the Oasis Leisure Centre, our fantastic swimming pool and fitness complex bear testament to this.
The company is committed to investment in the Villages and still have some mouth-watering plans for the future.